From:
"D.B. Erickson" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 4 Dec 1996 10:35:17 -0500
Although this has no direct connection to COLLEGE hockey, it's of common
interest nonetheless:

Gerry Cosby, founder of Gerry Cosby & Co., the national/international
sporting goods firm headquartered in Madison Square Garden, died last Tuesday
(Nov. 26) at the age of 87.  What you may not have known is that Gerry Cosby
was an accomplished and well-known hockey player in the '20's and '30's -- he
was the goaltender on four U.S. national teams, including the world
championship squad that won the "cup" in Prague in 1933, allowing just one
goal in five games.  He was selected for the 1936 U.S. Olympic team, but
wasn't able to participate for business reasons.

He also played for the old NY Rovers of the Eastern Hockey League in the late
'30's, and served as a "practice" goalie for the Rangers, Americans
("Amerks") and Bruins.

So, although not directly involved in our beloved college scene, he was very
much a part of the hockey community, and as such I though he deserved a
mention here.

// Dave Erickson
// The Intercollegiate Hockey Newsletter