From:
"Rowe, Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rowe, Thomas
Date:
Wed, 4 Dec 1996 09:18:30 -0600
I am only at a Div III school, but I have seen both kinds of coaching
strategy.  And had the pleasure of Mark Mazzoleni as head coach for a
while.  For my two cents, if I had to concentrate on one style, I would
go for the goal scoring.

But, my reasoning actually turns on the goalie.  If the goalie's not
"with it," even great defense wont stop goals.  A really hot goalie can
stonewall anyone.  Therefore, if you can put a lot of offensive pressure
on (which, BTW, also limits the puck time in your own end and serves as
a kind of defense) and have a good or better goalie, I think you will
win a majority of your games.  If you have stiffling defense but can't
score when you should, you'll probably be involved in a lot of 1-0, 2-1,
etc., type games and may not win a majority of those.

Tom Rowe                                     [log in to unmask]
Home of Division 3 National Champion Pointers
                    89, 90, 91 & 93