From:
Kevin Todd <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kevin Todd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Dec 1996 00:46:19 -0800
Jon Bracco of SLU was named the ECAC player of the week after his
shut-out win over BU on Friday night.

I'm really at a loss for words when it comes to his play for this year.
He started out his first 6 games with no confidence and consequently was
shelled in every outing...he was replaced by sophomore walk-on Eric
Heffler in three of these games and then Heffler started the next
3...Heffler then gots shelled by Clarkson, allowing 3 goals in 3 minutes
and Bracco replaced him and almost pulled SLU back into the game...Bracco
went on to have great games against Union, RPI and BU, as well as
lack-luster outing against BC...You talk about the epitome of
incosistency...Bracco faces 103 shots in two consecutive games (RPI and
BU) allowing only 5 goals and then allows 6 goals to BC in only 33 shots.

Normally I would be very happy seeing an SLU player getting honored as
POTW, but I would have much rather seen the award go to any member of
SLU's defensive team...they kept BU out from in front of the net all
night long, they won all the board battles, and they allowed *very* few
tipped pucks...there were no break-aways allow for BU and I would say
that Bracco really didn't have to make more than maybe 3 quality saves in
the game...

I guess if Bracoo had gotten the sweep on the weekend I could see the
award being given to him, but his Fri. and Sat. night games were mediocre
at best.  In defense of the people choosing the award, I guess it would
be hard to distinguish whether a 46 save shutout was a great doing by the
goalie, or simply a ton of long distant, easy shots...

Kevin Todd
SLU '96