From:
John-Andrew Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John-Andrew Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Nov 1996 15:46:45 EST
I have to put in Dave Poulin's name. He was an impressive player for Notre Dame
while he was here, a tremendous leader, and holds a number of school
records. Then there is the NHL factor: He was an NHL All-Star, was awarded
a number of post-season awards, played in two Stanley Cup Finals, captained
the Bruins and Flyers, and was among the league's best defensive forwards
year in, year out. Articulate, intelligent, and level headed, Poulin
embodies what we all think of in a great athlete and human being. He was a
great leader in the golden era of Notre Dame hockey under Lefty Smith, and he
helped both the Flyers and Bruins to Cup finals against the Edmonton Oilers
in the 80's. (And, I think 1990.) That he has returned to his Alma Mater to
rebuild a struggling hockey team into a powerhouse is a reflection of his
dedication to this university. We're glad to have him back; he was one helluva
player while he was here. He has the Irish thinking victory every time they
set foot on the ice. I'm sure this is no different than anytime he took the
ice throughout his illustrious college, and pro careers.

John-Andrew Murphy
Coordinator
International Studies Resource Center
Hesburgh Library