From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Oct 1996 18:31:25 -0400
At 4:27 PM -0500 10/28/96, Jeffrey Votteler wrote:
> I haven't seen any results for the Mich St. Northeastern games on Sunday.
>Does
> anybody have any information???

Northeastern 6, Michigan State 5.

Brian Morris wrote:
> Mike Machnik, esteemed hockey observor, writer and critic writes:
>
> >...Northeastern (is) going to be better than expected.  Northeastern
>showed me
> a lot against Michigan State.
>
> Was the Huskie team at the Fieldhouse one of those dimensional replicas a la
> "Sliders"?  I can't say I have much to recommend about the Northeastern team,
> other than there dependable, but not flashy, goalie Robitaille.  I didn't see
> any vestiges of offensive pressure exerted by the Huskies.  ...  overall, I
> would have to say that RPI outclassed Northeastern.  This in spite of my
> assumption that Bruce Crowder's head coaching ascendancy would reap immediate
> dividends for the Huskies.

Well, it is hard to say since I did not see Northeastern play RPI.  Maybe I
should have thought to ask some of the NU people how their effort against
MSU compared to that vs RPI.  I can say that the effort against the
Spartans was a good one - they made some mistakes, but I expected that.
They did work hard to create some good chances and pretty plays, they
played aggressively, etc. - all things I would expect from a
Crowder-coached team.

Robitaille didn't look too bad.  Many of the goals he allowed were as a
result of defensive mistakes - as in the one where a teammate cross-checked
a Spartan into him just before MSU's pointman blasted the puck past him.
Huskie fans wanted an interference call on MSU, but it looked like
Robitaille had his own D to blame.  He was tied up and could not move to
try to stop the puck.

Dave Hendrickson has a good writeup of the game with some player and coach
quotes on USCHO.

Mike Machnik                [log in to unmask]               *HMM* 11/13/93
*****   (Part-Time) Color Voice of Merrimack Hockey  WCAP 980 AM    *****