From:
Leigh M Torbin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leigh M Torbin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Oct 1996 15:50:06 -0400
On Fri, 25 Oct 1996, Dave Hendrickson wrote:

> UMass-Lowell defenseman Chris Libett's father played in the NHL for 14 years,
> scoring 237 goals and 268 assists in 982 games.
>
> Are there any other current players with fathers who had similarly significant
> careers in the NHL?

Well, it isn't his father, but UMass freshman Jeff Blanchard's uncle
played for the Bruins in the late 60's and 70's. Might of heard of him,
the name's Bobby Orr. Just an FYI, Blanchard will be centering the fourth
line tonight as UMass opens its season at Lowell and looked great in
preseason camp.

UMass has no NHL fathers, but a bunch of siblings in the NHL. Bryan
Fitzgerald's brother Tom plays for Florida, and is a cousin of Keith
Tkachuk. Brad Norton's brother Jeff's with Edmonton. Meanwhile Dan
Juden's cousin Jeff chose a different pro path and is a releiver for the
Montreal Expos. Warren Norris' brother Dwayne played with Quebec for a
while and on the 1994 Canadian Olympic silver medal team, and I believe
is somewhere in the I now. Those, and of course, Rob Bonneau is the nephew
of NHL linesman Kevin Collins.

Don't know if any of this helps the discussion, but thought I'd pass it
along.

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's off to Lowell I go.
Leigh