From:
Charles O'Brien <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charles O'Brien <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Oct 1996 11:32:02 -0400
        Clarkson defeated the Polish National Team last night, 8-1.
Clarkson didn't play particularly well; however, the quality of this
year's recruits was evident.  This could be a banner year for recruiting
and the Knights were pretty deep to begin with!  Clarkson showed finesse
around the net, although the slightly undermanned Poles weren't able to
"move people out" the way many of our D-I opponents will.
        Poland could have used Czerkawski.  Clarkson simply had too much.
On the bright side for Poland was an intelligent, disciplined style of play
and fairly good skating skills.  Both Polish goalies were floppers and
Clarkson's forwards had a field day with the top half of the net.  The game
was clean.  The talk in Potsdam is that the Poles had to play Potsdam State
almost immediately after getting off the bus -- not even a meal, I was told!
I would say that in normal circumstances this Polish team would beat most
D-III schools and be competitive with weaker D-I schools.  The Army game may
indicate this.
        Most of the Polish team was 21-22, I imagine that older, more
experienced players will be available for more significant international
games.
        For the sake of my late, beloved, Polish brother-in-law, I'm
really glad Poland wasn't shut out and it was great just to have them in our
building.