From:
Pam Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pam Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Oct 1996 21:05:43 -0600
Tony Frolik wrote:
>Another note from the 11:00 news on Channel 5 (KSTP-TV):
>Woog will have to attend an NCAA Rules Seminar at his own expense.  The
>reporter
>also said the money didn't come from Woog or the University, but the U
>won't say
>where the $$ came from (??).  Mike Guentzel will take over head coaching
>responsibilities this weekend.

Something I read (sorry I don't remember where now) said that the money
came from a "family friend" of the McAlpines.  And it's more plausible than
you might think that a family friend of the McAlpines would have given him
the money via Woog, because the McAlpines and Woogs are both from South St.
Paul.*  But obviously, this is a situation you have to take seriously.  The
coach just shouldn't put himself in the situation of handing a former
player money.

* Chris's Uncle, Gary, played HS hockey with Woog.  He was the goalie.
He's now head of the St. Paul Police Bomb Squad.  I know that's irrelevant,
but I always get a kick out of thinking of the Bomb Squad as being a
work-world situation with some of the same qualities as goaltending:  high
pressure with tremendous consequences for even small mistakes.

Pam Sweeney
Go Gophers!!!