From:
John-Andrew Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John-Andrew Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 1996 11:28:29 EST
Notre Dame looks like it has itself a hockey team. ND played a helluva game
against Western Michigan this past Friday night in the JACC, coming from
deficits to tie WMU 3-3.

The Freshmen for ND looked good again, as did Terry Lorenz, and Matt Eisler.
The ND defense kept WMU guessing most of the evening, and really limited
Western's scoring chances. ND's offense began to dominate in the third period,
and missed break aways by Freshmen phenom, Ben Simon, by only a couple of
feet. Once the offense catches up to the defense, the Fighting Irish will be
very hard to play against.

The true test for ND will be against Michigan on the first. After the
road trip this weekend, the Wolverines will come into South Bend for a game
against the improving Fighting Irish.

Hey, our football team is slipping. But the women's soccer team, and the
hockey team are worth cheering for. Poulin has a very good foundation for the
future. These kids are worth coming to see, even if they lose. The under-
classmen are very good. And the upper-classmen are working their butts off
every shift. Unlike the days of "Taco" DalGrande, the Fighting Irish have no
players on the ice just taking up space. These kids work hard.

I don't have the scoring report with me, otherwise I'd post it. WMU is a very
good team, and will put up a lot of points. Their goaltending also impressed
me. Notre Dame played on helluva game.

John-Andrew Murphy