Sr.
Date:
Sun, 4 Aug 1996 00:34:58 EDT
Sean Pickett writes....
>Many of the players on the current team should have been aware
>that Maine had committed infractions and that a ban on NCAA
>tournament play was possible.

Make that _definite_.  The violations that the UMaine ice hockey team
accrued were enough for an automatic ban from an NCAA tournament.  This
is according to UM Athletic Director Sue Tyler, which is why UM pulled
itself out of last year's tournament.

I'm not positive, but I believe the violations weren't enough to lose
out on two tournaments, which is one of the reasons UM will appeal the
decision to be banned from the 1997 tournament.  Aside from that, the
UM administration, as do most others around here, feel that losing two
back-to-back tournaments is too severe.  But we've been through that
already.
      |\      Jim Baines    [log in to unmask]         M    M
      |/      Orono, Maine, U.S.A.                         MM  MM
    \ |\      University of Maine Class of 1989            M MM M
     \|/      GO BLACK BEARS!                              M    M