From:
Michael Smar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Smar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Aug 1996 10:00:56 CST
** Reply to note from Sean Pickett <[log in to unmask]> 07/31/96  8:33pm -500
> > It's not quite over yet..
>
> > Maine plans to appeal at least the part of the NCAA penalties that
> > bans the University of Maine from competing in the 1996-7 NCAA
> > Tournament.
> >
> > "We want closure," Tyler said, "but we also want what is fair to our
> > students."

Maybe the higher ups who allowed this to happen should be punished.

> > Both Tyler and Hutchinson cited their concern for the players who
> > during the last three years have missed two post-season tournaments
> > already and that it was these players complete cooperation that made
> > this investigation complete and successful.

It's not fair that students are punished in this way, but that's life. It's not fair
when 40,000 people lose their jobs at IBM because some bonehead up the corporate
ladder mismanaged the company, but that's life.

The NC$$ should punish those at fault. The coach and his/her bosses all the way up
to the President of the University. When they start doing that, these types of
infractions will stop. But then again what CEO would cut his/her salary instead of
firing 40,000 "faceless" people?

Life's not fair, justice is rarely served, and why do we expect higher education and
college athletics to be any different?

Mike Smar ([log in to unmask])