Sr.
Date:
Sat, 27 Jul 1996 02:07:52 EDT
Another viewpoint on this issue....

In most cases, using Native American names or criteria in a school mascot
can be done in a positive manner.  This question was posed to those living
in the Penobscot Nation (about three miles from UMaine), and a good
majority had no problem with it, calling it a "pride thing."  This includes
such names as Chiefs, Braves, and Tribe.  All of these are presented in a
positive manner.

Redskins is another issue, though.  Comedian Chris Rock (formerly of
Saturday Night Live, currently a 1-800-COLLECT spokesman) once said that's
"like calling a team the New York Niggers."  Funny how we've become
desensitized to this word.

Funnier how we've become over-sensitized to other positive Native
American names.  I admit that I prefer River Hawks to Chiefs, but there
was nothing wrong with the name Chiefs.  I don't understand the need
to change Redmen (St. John's) to Red Storm.  A Redman is not necessarily
a Native American, just someone representing St. John's while wearing red
(like Syracuse's Orangemen wear orange).  I thought this change was silly.

If you're going to change your name, please change it to something better.
UMass-Lowell did this; St. John's did not.  In fact, UMass was known as
the Redmen at one time, but changed it to a Minutemen, which is a better
reflection on the state of Massachusetts.

Aside from Redskins, I have a personal objection to Indians, but not for
racist reasons.  Indians is a misnomer that Columbus (who we now know
was no role model) placed upon the natives of this land, because he
thought he had landed in India.  Indians are from India.  Native
Americans have ancestry here.  That's part of the reason that Siena
College changed its nickname from Indians to Saints.

Of course, that doesn't stop the Cleveland Indians, whose team was named
after Louis Sockalexis, of the aforementioned Penobscot Tribe.  This team
is using the name in a very positive light.  It still bugs me, though.
Semantics, I guess.

I am bothered even more, though, by how sensitive we've all become over
using Native American names.  I may not come from such ancestry, but I
know an honorable name when I see one.  The Seminole Nation absolutely
loves Florida State honoring them with its nickname, for that nation
sees it for what it is: a tribute to the local people who were there
long before the school was.  If the Seminoles can see it in that light,
then why can't the rest of us?
      |\      Jim Baines    [log in to unmask]         M    M
      |/      Orono, Maine, U.S.A.                         MM  MM
    \ |\      University of Maine Class of 1989            M MM M
     \|/      GO BLACK BEARS!                              M    M