Date:
Sat, 27 Jul 1996 17:34:55 -0500
On Thu, 25 Jul 1996, Mike Machnik wrote:

> Given that, it might be best for the school to just change the name and be
> done with the political aspect, not so much as a PC measure but more so to
> end any chance that they might again be dictated to in the future like this.

I agree.  As long as they insist on a name that references an identifiable
group, the issue will keep coming up.

I'm waiting for someone to use the nickname "Students".  :)

> The question is, how much should colleges allow themselves to be dictated
> to by special interest groups.  UMass is a good example.  The school
> changed its nickname many years ago from a Native American name to
> Minutemen, which lasted for about two decades until it was claimed that
> even that was offensive to Native Americans.

Sounds more like it'd be offensive to sufferers of a certain sexual
dysfunction.  :)

|   Michael Patrick Bresina   |     America's always had a problem     |
|  [log in to unmask]  |  with illegal aliens.  Ask any Indian. |
|      The Rendezvous Online Service      |           telnet           |
|          Interactive TradeWars!         |       205.243.194.68       |
|           Common sense is what tells us the world is flat.           |
|             I don't judge a man by the color of his skin;            |
|            I judge him by his choice of internet provider.           |