From:
John-Andrew Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John-Andrew Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jul 1996 11:30:20 EST
With all due respect my fellow college hockey fans, this whole debate is
taking on ominous tones. Let's consider something here, the majority is not
always correct. If this were the case, then women would have a mighty loud
voice in the world today, as they outnumber men. As is stands, in this case,
women in many parts of the world are still striving for equity. And, yes,
in this country, too, people are striving to eliminate glass ceilings.

The situation with nicknames is tense. For those of us who love the games,
and enjoy the traditions, we sometimes lose sight of those being hurt.
In the case of "Red Men", or "Redskins", it should be noted that these two
terms are akin to, "Nigger", and "Kike". Though neither the alumni of these
schools nor those affiliated are racist, this does not excuse the usage of
derogatory terms.

Throughout the history of this fine nation we have fought against the very
things we see here. And I am not some "pinhead" espousing strange views.
I am an athlete, and a scholar. I cheer for the Fighting Irish, the New
York Yankees, and other teams with names that could be misinterpreted as
insulting. However, neither of these two teams' names translate to blatant
racism.

The argument that "the majority rules" is vapid and negates the idea of
uniqueness. It promotes homogeneity based on the hegemony of a given class.
Each of us is, in some way, part of a minority. Hell, those of us who play
the game of hockey are in a minority in this country. When someone feels
insulted their claims should be considered. It is the right thing to do.
When any one of us feels insulted we will say so, whether we upset the
wishes of the majority or not.

These claims are not made by "pinheads", or "liberals", or "right with
extremists". Let's stop the name calling. I know many elite athletes,
scholars, and regular Joes who take this kind of thing seriously. The
semiotics of a name are much more serious than one would think. And while
we are insulated in our arenas watching games, there are those who feel
outrage at the use of derogatory symbols and names. They are not all the
"others" many wish to deride.

That some claims turn out to be unfounded is certainly true. Furthermore,
some claims are specious, and grounded only in the want for publicity.
However, no one has the right to judge these concerns until they are voiced
and aired. We all have the right to free speech, but with that right comes
the responsibility to our American partners. "Your right to punch me ends
at the tip of my nose." Wrote Mark Twain. There is much to be said for the
character of those who stand up for what they believe. And sometimes the
minority speaks for silent majority.

Peace,
John-Andrew Murphy
Coordinator