From:
"Jeffrey S. Piek" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeffrey S. Piek
Date:
Sun, 21 Jul 1996 10:55:58 -0700
You wrote:

>I read in this morining's newspaper that the Miami Indian Tribe
>based in Oklahoma withdrew its official support of Miami-Ohio's
>nickname, Redskins.  Apparently Miami U. board of reagents will
>vote on whether or not to change the mascot.  The paper went
>on to report that since this past spring, the University has
>solicited suggestions for a possible new nickname.
>
>What was the mascot before 1970 (it was reported that MU has been
>the Redskins since then)?  Any thoughts about what the new mascot
>should be?  I am a fan of Marquette University basketball (although
>I never attended the school), and while I had no misgivings about
>the changing of the mascot from the Warriors, I did think The Golden
>Eagles was a bit unimaginative.
>
>later
>jd
>
>HOCKEY-L is for discussion of college ice hockey;  send information to
>[log in to unmask], The College Hockey Information List.

No one here has a clue as to what they will be called.  It seems that
the front runner is a return to the "Redmen" nickname which had been
used for decades.  However, there is a problem.  Though the name
originally refered to a fraternity, you can guess what it can be
implied as meaning today.  This is especially true since while the
Miami Tribe of Oklahoma has requested a change in the nickname, it
still supports the logo of a silotte Native-American.  The one thing is
almost for sure is that the new name won't be the "Tribe" the
administration passed two years ago.  Everyone here on both sides of
the controvercy thinks it's a farce.  I imagine there will be heated
discussion all year about it.  I'll keep you all informed.

Peace