From:
John Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jul 1996 10:18:52 -0500
I read in this morining's newspaper that the Miami Indian Tribe
based in Oklahoma withdrew its official support of Miami-Ohio's
nickname, Redskins.  Apparently Miami U. board of reagents will
vote on whether or not to change the mascot.  The paper went
on to report that since this past spring, the University has
solicited suggestions for a possible new nickname.

What was the mascot before 1970 (it was reported that MU has been
the Redskins since then)?  Any thoughts about what the new mascot
should be?  I am a fan of Marquette University basketball (although
I never attended the school), and while I had no misgivings about
the changing of the mascot from the Warriors, I did think The Golden
Eagles was a bit unimaginative.

later
jd