From:
"Mark J. Sonnier" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark J. Sonnier
Date:
Wed, 19 Jun 1996 07:52:26 -0800
At 09:59 PM 6/18/96 -0500, Aaron Lindman wrote:

>first, what goalies are back this year in the wcha? i know steve debus is
>back for the gophers and i am not sure about some of the others. i think
>the sioux may be fishing for a new goalie.

Both Chris Davis and Doug Teskey will return in goal for UAA this season.
With the new coaching situation in effect, the starting job appears wide
open.  My keen goalie insight leads me to believe that the free-ranging
Davis may have to tone it down to fit into Coach Talafous' disciplinarian
system...

>second, am i the only person who thinks anaheim is the dumbest place for
>the college national championship? i think it should be kept within the
>area of college hockey. (just a thought)

Apparently, the NCAA powers-that-be figured the finals in Alaska would be
less palatable than Anaheim, arena size concerns aside.  My guess is that
most of my hockey-l colleagues would rather travel to Anaheim in March than
to Anchorage.  Plus Disney obviously figures into the NCAA's marketing
equation - maybe even with higher profile TV support.  And let's face it,
with this year's glitches in Cincinnati (geographic center of college
hockey?) what's the tourney got to lose by playing in Anaheim?

IMO, college hockey is right on by taking this chance.  I think it's good to
spread the finals around and market like crazy (obviously the key).  As for
"within the area of college hockey" I'll rue the day the game decides to
limit tourney sites to Boston, Minneapolis and Detroit...

Still California dreamin' in AK,
Mark Sonnier