From:
John-Andrew Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John-Andrew Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 1996 08:35:20 EST
Okay, I'm a newbie who is usually on Hockey3. But since I began working at
Notre Dame I've started following the Fighting Irish, as well as Fredonia
State. I'm not sure if anyone has posted their respective school's recruits,
or even if they know them. College football makes as big a deal over incoming
freshman as ESPN does with the NFL draft. So, I figured that maybe college
hockey teams may hype their freshmen a little. That being said, here's the
list of Notre Dame recruits to begin play this fall in the JACC. Dave Poulin
chose quality over quantity, and went after speed. Each one of these players
was highly sought after by the heavies: Minnesota, Lake Superior, BU, Maine
and Colorado College. One defenseman was reportedly NHL bound in two years.
He was the top NHL draft pick from his junior conference.

The picks are:

Forwards:

Troy Bagne         Moorhead, Minn     6', 180    Moorhead, HS
Joe Dusbabek       Minnetonka, Minn   6'1", 195  Minnetonka, HS
Ben Simon          Shaker Heights,OH  6', 175    Cleveland Jr. Barons, NAJHL

Defensemen:

Tyson Fraser       Surrey, BC         5'11", 180  Royal City Outlaws
Nathan Borega      Wasilla, Alaska    6'2",  215  Vernon Vipers
Sean Molina        Skokie, IL         6'1,   180  Dubuque Jr., USJHL

If these names have already been posted, then ignore this post.

The two names to watch are: Ben Simon and Tyson Fraser. Simon is a speedster,
with excellent acceleration and vision. He can escape traffic with good moves
and quick feet. Fraser I'm not sure about outside of hearing the NHL picked
him, and he is reported to have NHL quickness. The Irish needed speed badly.
Poulin was at the NCAA Tournament this year and was impressed with Perrin and
St. Louis of Vermont. He made a commitment to improve the skating of this club
and bring in that kind of speed. With the loss of Jamie Ling, Poulin sought
another gifted playmaker and got Simon. His defensive corps will be much
improved with these three who are expected to make an immediate impact.
With many returning players, especially goalie Matt Eisler, and forwards
Tim Harberts, Steve Noble, Aniket Dhadphale and Brian Urick, the Fighting
Irish appear good on paper. Let's see if they can turn it up a notch this
season and rise in the CCHA standings. They have student, community support,
a seasoned new coach and a Canadian Athletic Director. Could the tide be
changing in South Bend?

John-Andrew Murphy
Fredonia State 1993
SUNYAC Champions: 1994,1995