From:
Brian Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 1996 11:19:33 EST
According to Bob Belber, Director of Marketing for the Knickerbocker Arena
in Albany, a big turn-out is expected for this weekend's East Regionals.
Belber indicated that as of last Saturday, 5600 tickets had been sold for
the Friday night program, and 8200 for Saturday's.  He termed the advance
sale a good one, but that the walk-up was pretty heavy, with substantial
sales expected today and tomorrow.  Belber estimated the Knick would sell
8500-9000 seats for Friday, and a possible sell-out for Saturday.  I
expressed surprise by his estimate, but Belber noted that a lot of fans
would be driving down from Vermont for Saturday night's match-up, and a
substantial Saturday walk-up would result.

I also inquired regarding the set-up of the rink for the Tournament.  Mr.
Bleber replied that everything would be done as the NCAA required, using
the "standard" NCAA dimensions.  I asked whether the goals would be 15 feet
from the ends, and he again reiterated that the rink would absolutely comply
with the NCAA dimensions, so I guess that means they will be 15 feet.  Mr.
Belber noted that the Knick has the ability to adopt whatever size is
required, although he didn't know exactly what those dimensions would be.
When asked whether the Knick would ever go to 100x200 he implied that the
Knick would do so if that is what the NCAA required.  As has been noted
earlier, he stated that the Knick is bidding for the Frozen Four in 2,000,
2,001 or 2,002, agreeing that 2,001 was the most likely date.  Bids for all of
these tournaments are due by April 15.

Mr. Belber asked that I indicate ticket sales are brisk, so fans shouldn't
be too complacent about getting a seat.  Tickets are $15.00 for a single
night, $30.00 for an all sessions pass.
Brian Morris                    RPI Engineers--An Underachieving Team
[log in to unmask]       Host Fan of the East Regionals