From:
"Tuthill, Richard" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tuthill, Richard
Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 1996 08:58:00 EST
     I've been following the discussion about UMass-Lowell.   As a Clarkson
alum,  I will tell you that yes,  Lowell got screwed.   That my alma mater
was the beneficiary of that screwing,  just amazes me.   I don't think THAT
ever happened before!!

     In the final analysis,  though,  any team that loses its last two when
everything was on the line,  really has nothing to complain about whatever
happens to it.   I kind of wish the process was a little more subjective in
the selection criteria.   I was amazed when Clarkson even got a bid (guess
that's the way the numbers worked out) and even more amazed when they were
put in the Knick.   If it had been me,  I probably would have given Harvard
and someone else bids rather than Clarkson and Lowell.   But then,  I like
the idea of going down to eight teams,  so what do I know  ...?   Suffice it
to say,  the Committee had a really tough job,  and they acquitted
themselves reasonably well.

     Btw,  I also like the idea of having no teams cross over in the
regionals.   Make those rounds what the name implies  --  true regionals.

     -- Dick Tuthill