Sr.
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 1996 22:24:02 EST
Here's my favorite comeback....

1989 NCAA Quarterfinals, Game 3, Providence at Maine
(remember when the first two rounds were best-of-3 series???)

Providence had taken game one at Maine, but the Black Bears equalized
in game two with a hard fought 2-1 victory.  Maine was down 3-1 after
two periods, but fought back to tie it at 3-3 and force overtime.

Overtimes were ten minutes.  Our whole student section stood up
through the whole the whole OT.  I was in the front row with my
girlfriend, right behind the Maine goal.  Both teams played conservative
hockey, and key saves by Scott King and the Providence goalie (need
help with his name, PC fans) kept the game going.  The horn sounded,
and it's time to switch ends for the second OT.

Oh, good.  Now we're behind the PC goal..."SIEVE...SIEVE...SIEVE..."
(Stupid kids we were.  That goalie was anything but!  Still....)
More conservative action.  We all sat and wait.  Another key save by
King.  Back the other way...shot, save, shot, save, the goalie's down,
scramble, GASP!  My eyes focused on the back of the net, and I can
vividly remember the puck hitting the twine.  Pandamonium at the
Alfond!  Maine wins in a spectacular double-overtime playoff comback,
4-3, to win the series and advance to the final four.

Even though Maine finished fourth in the NCAAs, we were still nouveau
riche (second appearance in the final four, third in the NCAAs, the
first for both only two years prior), so we weren't too distraught by
the final outcome.  I would have loved to see my school win it all in
my senior year, but I figured the elusive national championship wasn't
too far away.  We had to wait another four years, but it happened.

Up until last year, that game WAS the best game I ever attended, bar
none.  That was before I attended last year's Maine/Michigan NCAA
semifinal game.  In 1989, I was with my girlfriend, in the front row,
behind the goal.  Six years later, I was with my wife (same woman,
seven months pregnant with my son), near the back row, right on the
blue line (Michigan's, when the game ended).  I can't imagine what
game will supersede that, but I hope to be with my wife and son
(and whatever others may come) when it happens.
      |\      Jim Baines    [log in to unmask]         M    M
      |/      Orono, Maine, U.S.A.                         MM  MM
    \ |\      University of Maine Class of 1989            M MM M
     \|/      GO BLACK BEARS!                              M    M