From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Oct 1995 01:37:58 -0100
At 11:17 PM 10/10/95, Sean Pickett wrote:
>The Boston University-Cathloic Memorial monopoly is, and always has
>been, a myth.  The one example I can give of the top of my head is CM
>star goalie Jim Carey, who went to Wisconsin and not BU.  I am sure
>that there are several other top CM players who did not go to BU.

Carey is an exception, however - and an understandable one given
Wisconsin's ability to produce pro-quality goaltenders.  Chuckie Hughes is
another exception, though I don't know what level of interest BU showed in
him.

I would have trouble labeling the BU-CM connection a myth when I have heard
coaches and scouts talk about it.  But it is more like a pipeline than a
monopoly.  I should not have used the word monopoly; I meant to convey the
idea that if a CM kid is good and BU is seriously interested in him, he is
usually not interested in anyone else.  However, I wouldn't dispute that
the reputation of Parker and BU also have a lot to do with this, and that
doesn't contradict what I said.  More below.

>As for Jack Parker being "not at all pleased" about Steve O'Brien
>deciding to attend UNH, so what?  I expect that every head coach is
>"not at all pleased" when a top prospect decides to attend another
>school.

Yes, I agree.  I don't think he is concerned that because a top CM player
went elsewhere, then he will have trouble attracting CM players in the
future.

>Jack and BU recruit the best available players regardless of where
>they happen to play there high school hockey.

Clearly, this is true.  However, it is also true that CM produces more of
the best non-private players in Mass than any other HS.

I don't believe the CM pipeline began until recently (last 5-6 years) nor
that it is something BU should be ashamed of.  Rather, I believe that as CM
players went to BU and had good experiences there, their younger former
teammates were more inclined to go there too - also because of the fact
that CM practices and plays at BU, among other things.  Former teammates'
college experiences can play a large part in helping players decide where
to go.  Of course, it also helps if that school is interested in you, too,
and if it has a coach like Parker and the reputation that BU has.

To clarify, the pipeline does not exist because CM players feel pressured
to go to BU or because BU demands that they go there.  It exists because of
the positive experiences that CM players have had at BU over the years.

>Now, as for the BU-CM myth, I only have the past 11 years worth of BU
>information, but only twice in that time has more than one CM player
>come to BU in a single year(*).

But how many more CM players went to prep for a year and then went to BU?
There were none last year, but I am not sure that there weren't any in the
past.

The real question is, what CM players had received offers from BU but
turned them down to go elsewhere?  My perception is that this list of
players is very small.

Mike Machnik                   [log in to unmask]            *HMM* 11/13/93
***** Unofficial Merrimack Hockey home page under construction at:  *****