From:
paul thalacker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
paul thalacker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 1995 17:45:46 -0500
Do any other WCHA fans on the list have their own picks for the
conference standings?  It would be interesting to see how fans in
different areas see the league panning out.

Here are my humble picks from a MN-Duluth fan's point of view:

1. Colorado College
2. Minnesota
3. Wisconsin
4. North Dakota
5. Minnesota-Duluth
6. Denver
7. Michigan Tech
8. St. Cloud St.
9. Northern Michigan
10. Alaska-Anchorage

I think CC and UM are definitely at the top of the pack.  I don't see any
other teams challenging either of the two.  CC has won back-to-back
titles and has most of their star players back again, so I can't see them
not winning it again.  Minnesota has arguably the best defense in the
country along with Brian Bonin, but goaltending and scoring help for Bonin
are small question marks.
The 3rd-6th slots should be up for grabs.  I really could have put
UW, UND, UMD, and DU in any order.  All seem to have solid teams but
not enough talent to challenge for for the championship.  Wisconsin
suprised a lot of people last year, so even though they don't seem to
have the superstars, their overall balance will make them tough.  North
Dakota seems to have almost everyone back to the best of my knowledge, so
they could be a darkhorse.  UMD might also be dangerous - most of their
top scorers return, and the return of Rick Mrozik should bolster the
defense (he sat out last year on a medical redshirt).  I know Denver lost
a few players but should continue to build off last year's strong team.
Tech should be decent and may battle for the final home playoff spot.
St. Cloud and Northern are going through rebuilding processes.  Both
finished in the lower pack of the league last year, and with many
players graduating this season will probably be no better
than the last.  Bringing up the rear is Alaska.  Unless they have some
big recruits I can't see the Seawolves being too strong.

Remember, this is only one man's opinion!  I'd be interested in seeing
others also.

Paul Thalacker
Go Bulldogs!!