From:
"Luiz F. Valente" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Luiz F. Valente
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 1995 14:50:35 EDT
>Posted on 29 Sep 1995 at 13:08:45 by Phil Leavitt
>
>Re: Admissions Selectivity
>
>I found it very interesting to review his findings on admission selectivity
>and I am not suprised by his findings.  It looks like most of the state
>schools or universities are easier to get into than the more private
>institutions.   My comment is that you have to take into account the mission
>of the institution in regards to a particular school's "admission
>selectivity".  For instance Harvard, Brown or RPI have different missions
>and serve different "publics" than do Universities like Maine, University of
>New Hampshire or UMass Amherst.

I think you're absolutely right in calling attention to the fact that
different institutions have different missions. By definition the
University of Maine cannot be as selective as Princeton. Nevertheless the
different admission standards have a definite impact on the pool of
potential Division I players available to different institutions and,
consequently, on the ability of different schools (and different leagues)
to compete for the national title.

There are many excellent high school hockey players the Brown coaches don't
bother recruiting because they can't be accepted due to the academic index
and the standards set by the admission office. These players go on to
play hockey at other institutions and help their teams achieve national
prominence.

>If Maine had admission standards as high as Harvard many
>Maine residents would not be able to take advantage of higher education.

Yes. However, if Maine had admission standards as high as Harvard it might
not be able to admit some players that have helped the Black Bears become
a national powerhouse.

Luiz F. Valente