From:
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 1995 13:11:56 -0400
>Date:    Wed, 27 Sep 1995 17:45:36 EDT
>From:    "Luiz F. Valente" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Admissions Selectivity

>ST. LAWRENCE - Very Difficult
>UNION - Very Difficult
>VERMONT - Moderately Difficult
>YALE - Most Difficult
>
>          HOCKEY EAST
>BOSTON COLLEGE - Very Difficult
>BOSTON UNIVERSITY - Very Difficult
>MAINE - Moderately Difficult
>MASSACHUSETTS-AMHERST - Moderately Difficult
>MASSACHUSETTS-LOWELL - Moderately Difficult
>MERRIMACK - Moderately Difficult
>NEW HAMPSHIRE - Moderately Difficult
>NORTHEASTERN - Moderately Difficult
>PROVIDENCE - Very Difficult
>
>          CCHA
>ALASKA FAIRBANKS - Moderately Difficult
>BOWLING GREEN - Moderately Difficult
>FERRIS STATE -  Minimally Difficult
>ILLINOIS-CHIGACO - Moderately Difficult
>LAKE SUPERIOR - Moderately Difficult
>MIAMI - Moderately Difficult
>MICHIGAN - Very Difficult
>MICHIGAN STATE - Moderately Difficult
>NOTRE DAME - Most Difficult
>OHIO STATE - Moderately Difficult
>WESTERN MICHIGAN - Moderately Difficult
>
>          WCHA
>ALASKA ANCHORAGE - Noncompetitive
>COLORADO COLLEGE - Very Difficult
>DENVER - Moderately Difficult
>MICHIGAN TECH - Moderately Difficult
>MINNESOTA - Moderately Difficult
>MINNESOTA-DULUTH - Moderately Difficult
>NORTH DAKOTA - Moderately Difficult
>NORTHERN MICHIGAN - Minimally Difficult
>ST. CLOUD - Moderately Difficult
>WISCONSIN - Very Difficult
>>
>By assigning a score to each school on a five-point scale, I arrived
>at the following selectivity averages for each league:
>
>ECAC - 4.42
>HOCKEY EAST - 3.33
>CCHA - 3.18
>WCHA - 2.9
>
>(For comparison, the NESCAC average is 4.56.)

I found it very interesting to review his findings on admission selectivity
and I am not suprised by his findings.  It looks like most of the state
schools or universities are easier to get into than the more private
institutions.   My comment is that you have to take into account the mission
of the institution in regards to a particular school's "admission
selectivity".  For instance Harvard, Brown or RPI have different missions
and serve different "publics" than do Universities like Maine, University of
New Hampshire or UMass Amherst.

The University Maine is a "public" State University that is designed to
provide higher education programs to ALL Maine residents.  The programs are
varied and designed to meet as many needs as possible.  Maine has campus's
in 7 locations arround Maine and offers a variety of educational
opportunities such as; certificates, 2 year and 4 year degrees as well as
graduate degrees.   If Maine had admission standards as high as Harvard many
Maine residents would not be able to take advantage of higher education.
Harvard on the other hand is not designed to offer the full spectrum of
educational services to everyone.   They are looking for a smaller subset of
the best students that fit their mission.

Since the ECAC schools are looking for specific students, I would expect to
see their scores higher than "State" Universities.

Sincerely,
Phil Leavitt

University of Maine Graduate and college hockey fanatic
BS in Plant and Soil Science (79)
Master of Business Administration (84)