From:
"Luiz F. Valente" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Luiz F. Valente
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 1995 09:24:10 EDT
>Posted on 27 Sep 1995 at 23:15:00 by Brad Edward Toberman
>
>Re: Admission Selectivity
>
>There is another aspect to this discussion.  Some schools don't have
>admission selectivity as a goal.  The University of Wisconsin prides it
>self on not being selective, trying to give as many people a chance to get
>a degree as possible.  That is the main reason it is not ranked in US News
>& Word Report's top 25 every year.  Yet, Wisconsin is one of the top
>Graduate and Research Schools in the nation.

You're only partially right. The US News & World Report's list of the
top 25 is based on many different criteria, including academic
reputation, faculty/student ratio, freshman retention rate, financial
resources, graduation rate, etc., in addition to student selectivity.

I find the US News & World Report's list of "top universities" biased
towards private universities, particularly the ones with huge financial
resources.

Incidentally, the US News and World Report ranks Wisconsin as 32nd
among research universities. Nevertheless, Wisconsin is ranked 17th in
"academic reputation." I'm suprised that Wisconsin isn't ranked higher,
as it's unquestionably one of the top graduate and research universities
country. The fact that it's a public institution may have something to
do with it. (See above)

>Second, how many of these schools let there admission standards slide for
>athletes  (i.e. Hockey [hockey content requirement met] :-} )?

I can't answer for every school in the country, but I know a little bit
about the situation in the ECAC. The ECAC uses an Academic Index for
the admission of recruited athletes. This topic has been covered before
on Hockey-L.

What might be an interesting topic of discussion is whether there's
correlation between admission selectivity and the ability of the hockey
programs at different schools and different leagues to compete on the
national level. The ECAC may be the most "selective" league, but it
hasn't had a bona fide contender for the national title since 1990.

Luiz F. Valente