From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 1995 01:37:31 -0100
At 9:35 PM 9/27/95, Jim Baines wrote:
>Whereas the NCAA allows the first on-ice practice this year on October 2,
>the University of Maine will have its eighth (?) annual Midnight Madness
>hockey practice this Sunday night/Monday morning.

Actually, I believe the change in NCAA rules this year allows on-ice
practice as early as September 7.  However, you also have to take into
account the length of the season rule, which pretty much prohibits anyone
from starting continuous practice that early (unless you don't expect to
make your league playoffs).  You are only allowed so many weeks of
practice/play during the season - something like 22 or 23 weeks.

>The two teams have a shootout, with each player introduced before his
>shot.  Last year, Team Canada trounced Team USA.  (Overheard: "Well,
>THAT doesn't bode well for us this year, does it?"  Stupid ditz.)

Give that person the Crystal Ball Award. :-)

>I was wondering, what other schools have a midnight madness?  Surely,
>we can't be the only hockey school out there.  Others?

Last year I went to Lowell's Midnight Madness, which had a similar format -
probably had something to do with Crowder being from Maine.  BU has one
too, as I recall.  I do not know of any other HE schools that have one.
Merrimack does not.

Mike Machnik                   [log in to unmask]            *HMM* 11/13/93
***** Unofficial Merrimack Hockey home page under construction at:  *****