From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 1995 15:49:45 -0400
This is an analysis of the Prime College Hockey Game of the Week
regular season schedule that was posted ito INFO-HOCKEY-L by John
Hauessler.

1995-96
16 games = 32 possible team appearances

              Total         Teams Shown
Conference  Appearances    At Least Once
CCHA            16           10 of 11
ECAC             3            2 of 12
HEA              7            5 of 9
WCHA             6            4 of 10

1994-95
16 games = 32 possible team appearances

              Total         Teams Shown
Conference  Appearances    At Least Once
CCHA            17           10 of 11 (incl UAF)
ECAC             3            3 of 12
HEA             10            6 of 9
WCHA             2            2 of 10

Once again, I am extremely disappointed in the way in which the
schedule was negotiated with a clear bias towards the CCHA.  As a
college hockey follower, I'd like to see more of the top WCHA and ECAC
teams, at the expense of some of the weaker CCHA teams.  There is no
need for the CCHA to have all of its (non-Alaska) teams make an
appearance on national tv, especially when we are deprived of
appearances by some of the top teams from other leagues.  It makes me
wonder why the Prime showing isn't called the CCHA Game of the Week
rather than the College Hockey Game of the Week, because it is
actually more of the former than the latter.

And as you should know, no offense is intended to members of the CCHA
community.  It is simply unfair that one conference is allowed to
dominate the selection this much.  I would have the same view if it
were one of the other conferences.  It is not good for the game.

I seem to remember discussion last year to the effect that the
contract is negotiated by CCHA Commissioner Bill Beagan.  I also
recall discussions about the other conferences being extremely upset
at the way their teams were slighted.  It does not appear as if
anything has changed.  If Beagan is indeed the only person or the
chief person to negotiate the deal, then certainly it is time for all
four conferences to take an equal part in the negotiations for the
good of the game.
Mike Machnik                 [log in to unmask]           [log in to unmask]
***** Unofficial Merrimack Hockey home page under construction at:  *****
***** http://www.tiac.net/users/machnik/MChockey/MChockey.html      *****