From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 1995 00:26:57 -0100
At 5:11 PM 9/25/95, [log in to unmask] wrote:
>This is a joint query from Vardu and Venky, two displaced Maine fans
>in the heart of wolverine country!  We found out that Umaine plays
>UMich on Oct. 26 at the Palace of Auburn Hills, Michigan, in the Hall
>of Fame Classic.  Is this a tournament, or just a one-game thing?
>The ticket office at the Palace said that this was the only college
>hockey game scheduled that week.

Actually, this is not even the only game scheduled for that day, as LSSU
will be at Michigan State.  And other games will take place across the
country the weekend of 10/28.  Maybe The Palace meant it was the only game
scheduled for The Palace that week.

This is one game, played between Maine and Michigan.  It is the annual US
Hockey Hall of Fame game.  It has usually been played at the Hall of Fame
in Eveleth, MN, or at other places like Minnesota-Duluth, but it was moved
to The Palace this year and will be shown nationwide live on ESPN2 as a
lead-in to an NHL game.  Rumor is it may be played at other rinks around
the country in coming years, including in the East.

There is also a question about the status of this game as an exhibition -
from me, anyway.  Tradition has held that this game has been an EX, yet
NCAA rules do not require it to be so.  I feel a game of this importance
and which will draw as much interest as it will should count, but we will
see what happens.

Hopefully ESPN2 won't cut the ending of this game if it goes long, but then
at least we know these two teams won't play more than 65 minutes this time
around. :-)

Mike Machnik                   [log in to unmask]            *HMM* 11/13/93
***** Unofficial Merrimack Hockey home page under construction at:  *****