From:
Leigh Torbin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leigh Torbin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jul 1995 18:18:57 -0400
Just FYI,

The UMass record for saves in a game is 79, set twice in what Mike has
dubbed "the modern era." Gene DeMasellis stopped 79 AIC shots during the
1956-57 season, while Ed Sanborn did likewise during the 1966-1967 season
against UNH.

Since making the jump to DI this past season, UMass goaltenders found
themselves posting high numbers here as well. Dave Kilduff set a then HE
record by making 50 saves on Nov. 18 vs. BU (That mark was broken twice
since, both against BU). Freshman sensation Brian Regan set the DI school
record later on, as he made 51 saves against BOTH Maine (Jan. 28) and BU
(Feb. 3). The 102 saves in back-to-back starts must be some sort of HE
record.

Also Regan set what's believed to be a school record by making 25 saves
(on 26 shots) in the third period of the Maine upset on Jan. 28.

There weren't too many wins for the Minutemen this past year, but there
certainly was some incredible goaltending (from a freshman and a
sophomore no less). I suppose this can be expected when your head coach
(Joe Mallen-MSU '77) and assistant coach (Bob Deraney-BU '87) are both
goaltenders, and another assistant (Scott MacPherson) recruited All-HE
goalie Martin Legault to Merrimack.

                       ========================
As for this HofF stuff, I made a pilgrimage this past summer, and found
the hall exhilirating. They say that the tour takes two hours, but my
brother and I were there all day, until they kicked us out at closing
time. It's a wondrous place, easy to find (corner Younge and Front), with
plenty of parking. I had also been to the "old" hall, at Exhibition
Place, and this one is far superior, not to mention right downtown. The
Bell Great Hall is awe-inspiring. To all who said that they were going, I
don't have to tell you to have a good time. If you're on this list,
you'll love it.

Leigh