From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 May 1995 09:57:00 EDT
Howard Quimby writes...
>I should have added that the point system *will* remain the same in Hockey
>East this year -- 3 for a win, 1 each for a tie, and 1 additional for the
SO
>winner.

Hmm...the 1994-95 HE point system was 5 for a regulation win,
3 for a shootout win (regulation tie), 2 for a shootout loss (regulation
tie) and 0 for a regulation loss.

As for the WCHA debate, it's clear that Minnesota and Wisconsin
are getting treatment that I disagree with.  Whether or not it's
"special" treatment is dependent on whether or not other teams
have the same options available to Minn and Wisc (as, I believe,
Mike mentioned).  If all non-Alaska WCHA schools can pick and
choose where they will play games versus UAA, then there is
no special treatment...but the policy still sucks.  It's bad enough
that WCHA teams do not play each other the same number of
times during the season, but now some teams play more games
at home (and others play more on the road).  Given that all
WCHA qualify for the postseason tournament, if I were battling
for position with UAA I'd be putting up a bitch that UAA played
18 of 32 conference games at home.

If the WCHA wants to play 32 conference games (which,
IMO is too many given the NCAA's 34 game limit), the
team that is scheduled to play UAA twice at home and
not travel to Alaska should grin and bear it and live with
only two non-conference games.  This will happen to one
team per season, so each non-Alaska WCHA school
endures this "problem" once every 9 years.

John H
U Mich