John W. Davis
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 1995 09:28:27 EST

> >Is there any chance that the criteria
> >will change for next year to allow teams which have played at the highest
> >level over the whole year the right to compete for the national championship?
> > Isn't that what the regular season is for?
>
> No, there's no chance of it. If they wanted to have the teams that "have
> played at the highest level over the whole year" competing for the NC$$
> Championship, it would be a four-team affair involving the four conference
> pennant-winners.
>
> IMHO, if a team can't win their league, they shouldn't win the National
> Championship.

IMHO, this is way wrong.  Ths sort of logic would eliminate
great tourneys.  It would punish exceptional teams like BU
for being in a very tough conference.  Or how the WCHA?  Four
teams are in the top ten or eleven in the latest polls.  Any
one of the 2nd thru 4th place teams has a shot at getting
to the final four.  For example, Wisconsin (and DU and MN)
has shown it play excellent hockey with excellent teams.
Some teams are very good play-off teams (LSSU comes to
mind), in fact WI has only taken the WCHA title twice
but has won the NC$$ five times!  As long as deserving
teams are in the tourney, it just makes for great games.

later
jd
on wisCAHNsin