From:
Karen Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 1995 20:32:25 -0500
all, it has been 15 years (and counting) since the Gophers won the whole
thing.  Maybe having the Metro and State Player of the Year is not enough.
Maybe it's time Gopher Hockey was not so in-bred.  I've noticed that there
are more Minnesota players deciding to go elsewhere - UMD, SCSU, Wisconsin,
etc.  They even come East.  I think Minnesota is falling into the same trap
that BC has.  There is too much competition for the ever dwindling
"exceptional talent".  To assume that you will get all the top players from
Minnesota (or in BC's case, Boston) is unrealistic in this day.  Although
people out East don't really care what the Gophers do, it must be a topic of
discussion out there.

Re: Jason May's nomination of Toot Cahoon.  I first saw Toot play as a
freshman in high school (1964, I think).  He was a dynamic player at both the
high school and college level (2 national championships in '71 and '72), a
dogged recruiter for BU and now a successful coach.  My view is that it is no
surprise considering his BU background. BU alums who have gone into the
college coaching ranks (and there are not as many as you would think, correct
me if I'm wrong Sean or Arthur) have done well, including Toot, Jack Parker
(of course), Buddy Powers, plus Terry Meagher @ Bowdoin and Bill O'Neill @
Salem St.  I say this as a diehard UNH fan and (most of the time) a diehard
BU hater.  It is obvious that success breeds success.  By the way, UNH
coaches aren't bad either - Bruce Crowder, Mike McShane and Dick Umile (he's
my nominee but he won't get it, Walsh will).

Greg Ambrose, UNH '72
Go Blue!!