Date:
Tue, 13 Dec 1994 08:24:23 EST
        Looking over the RPICH and thinking back to our discussions last
summer about the relative merits of the weighting factors,  something else
really basic struck me.

        The relationship between strength of schedule and won-loss record
should NOT be additive.   With an additive relationship a team can get
points simply by playing a strong schedule whether or not they win any of
the games!!!   Have I been asleep while this has been mentioned many times
before or is this an original thought?

        The relationship between won-loss,  and whatever metric one uses for
strength of schedule,  should be multiplicative -- as in the scoring of diving
competitions.   If you don't believe me,  make some numbers and see where
Maine would be today if they were 7-10 instead of their current record.

        -- Dick Tuthill