From:
Douglas Bodmann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Douglas Bodmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Nov 1994 09:54:43 EST
        In response to Ms. MCNitt's posing about the OSU hockey team -- I could not agree more. Being a hopeful future OSU alum and  having had season tix for the past three years I  have sat through many a poorly played game.  Jerry Welsh is the John Cooper of hockey, IHMO.  The man fails to install discipline in a team that desperately needs it.
        The team itself does have fairly limited amount of talent, but they should be able to win more than 3 or 4 CCHA gamesa year, they are not THAT bad.  The team seems to play not to lose, rather than to win, and I can't tell whether that attitude comes from the coach, or the players themselves.
        In fairness, I think that OSU fundamental problems lie not only with the team itself, but with the university as well.  In Columbus, it is OSU football, and nothing else (and they stink too!).  The school the sh*ttest rink I have ever seen in my life.  My HS played in a better rink.  How can you expect a coach to recruit palent to play at OSU, when most of the kids are accustomed to playing in nice places.  Why go play for the Bucks if you could go anywhere  else in the CCHA, like MU, UM, WMU, ect.  There is no advantage to going to OSU and playing in a crappy rink for a crappy team.  Unless, of course, you are a goaltender, where the situation is great, as you get a HUGE amount of SOG and practice (who cares if your GAA is 6+!).

        Once again, this is my opinion, but would welcome everybodies $.02 on this subject, as it hits close to home.  Coach, rink, talent, administration, or all of the above?

Doug Bodmann              work:[log in to unmask]
school: [log in to unmask]
Cleveland Clinic Foundation
Cleveland, Ohio 44195