From:
Walter Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Walter Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Oct 1994 13:09:23 -0500
Besides the mispellings in my post on the Denver victory
over MTU, I neglected to include the stars. As I was
driving home from Houghton last night, I heard the radio
announcers (including Hall of Famer Bob Olson) award
the stars of the game.

3rd Star: Kelly Hollingshead. He played an excellent game from his
defensive position and was deserving of a star.

2nd Star: MTU's Andre Savage. If I were to give a star to any
MTU player last night, I suppose Savage would be a candidate.
Unfortunately, I would have given all of the stars to Denver.

1st Star: Jim Mullin: Mullin was both hot and lucky. You need
both as a goalie and Jim had them. I agree with the WZRK announcers
on this choice.

Incidently, last night was MTU's Hall of Fame game. Radio
announcer Bob Olson was inducted for his 24 years of announcing
MTU hockey as well as for creating the WMPL Poll. When I was
at RPI during the mid 80's, I thought the WMPL was the best
guide to college hockey and still do. I did not expect to meet
its creator nor hear his expert play by play game commentaries.
For those of you who haven't heard his telecasts, you are missing
one of the greatest in action. Bob Olson is well deserving of
his title Dean of Hockey Broadcasters and I commend the Hall of
Famer selectors for making Bob a Hall of Fame member.

Walt Olson
MTU