From:
Charlie Shub <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 20 Oct 1994 22:35:34 MDT
(phil witherow of the gazette has sent me email almost 2 weeks ago
noting...

  GTOnLine, the Gazette's on-line edition, is available on the Internet
  using either Mosaic or Lynx.  The address is:

  http://usa.net/gazette/today/Gazette.html

  We have been providing the service free for a while, but we plan to make
  it a subscription service soon.

  Steve Page's ice hockey stories appear in the on-line edition, and with
  Mosaic the stories can be saved to you disk, so I assume that means it is
  possible to resend them.  I assume we would not mind your doing that as
  long as we get credit (for legal reasons), but I am not the one to give
  you permission, so I will have to check with the right people.

he hasn't gotten back to me, yet, but here's (not necessarily with
permission) the article from today's paper.

cdash)

Michigan coach is more sure of CC than he is of Wolverines

By Steve Page

Red Berenson says he knows enough about Colorado College's hockey team to be
concerned.

But the main issue for the University of Michigan coach is his own club.

Berenson's Wolverines host CC at 5 p.m. MDT Friday and Saturday.

It should be quite a series. Michigan is the defending Central Collegiate Hockey
Association champion; CC won the 1993-94 Western Collegiate Hockey Association
regular-season title. The Tigers are ranked fifth by the WMEB (Orono, Maine)
media poll; Michigan is No. 8.

Michigan opened its season last week with an 8-0 win over York University of
Ontario.

"The Canadian college wasn't as good as we thought," Berenson said. "We haven't
played a real Division I opponent. We know we won't have that problem this week.

"We're considered a pretty good team in our league, but we have to prove it. We lost
a lot of pretty good players the last two years -- maybe more than most Division I
schools have lost. Whether we can maintain that caliber of play is a big question
mark."

Berenson's graduation losses last season were significant: College Hockey News
player of the year David Oliver (28 goals, 40 assists); the Wolverines' No. 2 career
scoring leader, Brian Wiseman (84 goals, 164 points); and goaltender Steve Shields,
the NCAA record-holder with 111 career victories.

"After four years, we'll miss the stability of Steve Shields," Berenson said. "This
year, we have an unproven senior in Al Loges, and a freshman, Marty Turco.

"Basically, we don't know much about our team. We know about our players, but not
as a team. How we will fare against Colorado is a big question mark.

"Yes, we know about Colorado College. No, we don't know about Michigan. We just
don't have much to evaluate at this point."

Berenson's new No. 1 line of senior Mike Knuble (1-1), junior Kevin Hilton (1-3)
and sophomore Brendan Morrison 1-2) led the assault against York with nine points.

"Mike Knuble should be a big part of our offense, but he's a question mark this week
(arrhythmia," Berenson said.

"Eight of our top forwards are freshmen and sophomores. We're young, but we're
pretty skilled."

Ditto for the defense.

"We did have some good, surprising performances from our freshmen last year,"
Berenson said. "But we're still pretty young. I don't know if that's the strong part of
our team or not."

Berenson is the anchor for the Wolverines. He's Michigan's winningest coach, with a
237-156-22 record over 11 seasons. He was the 1994 CCHA coach of the year.

The former NHL player and coach (St. Louis Blues) is certain of one thing --
Colorado College's burgeoning program under second-year coach Don Lucia.

"We know they had an exceptional year last year," Berenson said. "They have a lot of
returning players, and they're solid in goal.

"We just expect Colorado to be really good. We hope we can keep up with them."

charlie shub
[log in to unmask]  -or-  cdash@colospgs (BITNET)
(719) 593 3492               (fax) 593-3369