From:
Brian Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 1994 15:25:57 EST
>That is because that is how often they do a good job.  I read the
>complaints some of you folks from other conferences (mostly ECAC &
>WCHA) make about your officiating.  I have to conclude that either
>1) you're too hard on them, or 2) they really are that bad, and we're
>lucky in HE to have some of the best officials in DivI.  I haven't
>figured out which it is yet :-), but I will close by saying that among

Talking as an admitted (at times) ref baiter, I only have two words in
response: Pierre Belanger.  It is not a hyperbole to assert that that name
strikes terror in fieldhouses throughout the ECAC.  This year RPI has been
fortunate in its ability to avoid his quixotic style of officiating.  On the
second point, ECAC fans are probably too hard on the officiating.  One of the
ECAC's own (John?) Hearn is currently officiating at Lillehammer, and has
shown himself to be extremely capable, if not the best of all the officials.
I think one of the problems with the officials in the ECAC is that they don't
tend to be of the Hearn type: ambitious, looking to move up in the hierarchy,
develop their career.  The same crews seem to officiate year in and year out,
almost as if the ECAC is the last stop in the career ladder.

Kenny Z, any thoughts on the subject?
                    _
            "NYS   // Hockey"
        Go 'Gate  //   Brian Morris