From:
"Brady W. Clark" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 1994 23:54:12 +28216
        The Seawolves managed to rise to the occasion of a big game
tonight, and beat the CC Tigers 6-3 at Sullivan Arena in Anchorage.

        1       2       3       T

UAA     1       2       3       6
CC      2       0       1       3

        UAA came out slow, CC scored their first goal 18 seconds into
the game.  But the Seawolves quickly stepped up their intensity, and
freshman Mika Rautakallio put the Seawolves first goal in the net
midway through the period.  Then a defensive breakdown let CC take the
lead at the end of period 1, scoring their second with just 19 seconds
left.
        Period two was all Seawolves.  We hit hard, played fast, and
put away two goals, the first by junior Troy Norcross, the second by
junior Mark Stitt.  Goalie Lee Schill continued to be a stone wall,
stopping dead *two* Tiger breakaways in this period.  The teams left
the ice at the end of the second with the Seawolves holding a 3-2
lead.
        CC looked to come back at the beginning of the third, again
scoring in the first minute to tie the game.  Then, nearing the midway
point of the period, Schill again stopped dead a CC breakaway that
should have given them the lead.  Junior Troy Norcross took the puck
the length of the ice and scored, unassisted, his second of the night
to give the Seawolves the lead.  The crowd went wild at this point,
and was not quieted for the remainder of the game, which was all UAA.
Mark Stitt scored his second of the night a few minutes later, and
then on a power play Norcross (who I do not remember seeing on the
power play this year before tonight.. hmm), who camped out in front of
the net, buried a beautiful feed from (I believe) Cotton Gore to take
UAA's first hat trick of the season with 1:37 left in the game, and
UAA won 6-3.
        This gives UAA 22 points.. we need six more to tie St. Cloud's
record of 28 points in the first year of conference play.  This win
also puts us one game short of .500, and 3 points out of 5th place.
Same matchup again tomorrow night.
--
Brady W. Clark -- System Manager, saturn.uaamath.alaska.edu
University of Alaska Anchorage Department of Mathematical Sciences