From:
Paulette Dwen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 26 Nov 1993 18:17:13 -0500
Better late than never!  (It's been a long week)

Providence  4  3  2   9
Cornell     1  0  0   1

First Period

PC  O'Sullivan (McCabe)  :30
PC  O'Sullivan (Cofran)  5:27   shorthanded
CU  Stewart (Schmalz, Wilson)  5:40  power play
PC  Wheeler (Wagner)  11:00
PC  Cofran (O'Sullivan, Manning)  12:59

Second Period

PC  Manning (O'Sullivan, Bailey)  5:35
PC  Brophy (Carlson)  6:40
PC  Wagner (Movsessian, McCabe)  14:15

Third Period

PC  Carlson (Brophy)  7:37
PC  Turcotte (Movsessian)  15:48

I know I missed at least some assists.  I was listening to the ref as he
talked to the scorekeeper, and I didn't catch all he said.  Only occasionally
were the goals actually announced over the PA system.

It was a tough game for the Red, but then Providence is one of the Big Three
in women's hockey (the other two being Northeastern and University of New
Hampshire).  I think the difference between Cornell and both Brown and
Providence was strength.  A lot of Cornell passes weren't fast and crisp
(many died before they got to the intended receiver) and I got the impression
it was more a lack of upper body strength than skill.  Providence and Brown
both had stronger legs and were WAY faster than Cornell.  Often even when
Cornell defensemen had five or six strides on the offense, by the time the
play got down to the Cornell end, it was a 2-on-0 because the offense just
blew by the defensemen.  Unfortunately, when your opponent is that much faster
than you there's not much to do except play conservatively and never get
caught out of position.

Cornell still leads the overall series against Brown 25-13-4.  Providence
has a perfect record against Cornell in the 20 times they have met.  Brown
and Providence are two of the tougher teams in the ECAC so hopefully better
things will be coming Cornell's way as the season progresses.

Paulette Dwen
Cornell '89
Let's Go Red!