From:
Chris Craig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jan 91 13:59:54 EST
Going into this one, UNH hadn't lost a game that I'd attended, so I figured
that was a good omen.  Unfortunately, my "streak" came to an end as
Maine thoroughly dominated New Hampshire 8-4 in front of a dissapointed
sellout crowd at Snively Arena.  Actually, no one should be surprised, since
Maine has now won 15 of the last 16 games with UNH.  If there's one team UNH
does *not* want to see in the Hockey East playoffs, it has to be Maine.  I
personally would *much* rather see BC (or maybe even BU).

Maine scored in the 1st 1.5 minutes of each period, always putting UNH in a
hole.  Two big spans of the game:  first, the last 5 minutes of the 1st period
when Maine scored 2 powerplay goals (5 on 3, followed immediately by the 5 on
4) and then scored at 19:59 to make the score 4-1.  Second, the first 4
minutes of the 3rd period when Maine scored twice to put the game out of reach
at 7-3.  Between those two points was the only span when UNH played well.  The
Wildcats closed to 5-3 in the 2nd period and had many chances to get closer,
but Dunham made the saves.  Once Maine got the early 3rd period goals, the
rest was garbage time.

Sorry I don't have much in the way of stats, but I don't have Saturday's paper
with me.  For Maine, Roy, Robitaille, and Montgomery all had good games,
picking up a number of points.  All in all, a great game for the Black Bears.

UNH has now lost 4 straight, and hasn't won a game since beating Notre Dame on
January 2.  They have had a tough schedule in January, but their last 3 games
have been blowouts (1-6 to Providence, 4-8 at BU, and this one).  They play a
good Yale team tonight then travel to Providence on Friday.  The Wildcats have
dropped to 6th place in Hockey East, and really need some league wins.  They
have 2 games with Lowell and Providence, and 1 each with the rest of Hockey
East.
Chris Craig            Quick to judge, quick to anger, slow to understand.
[log in to unmask]                    Ignorance and prejudice and fear
...!mit-eddie!mit-athena!crcraig   walk hand in hand. -- Rush, "Witchhunt"