From:
Vicki Price <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 4 Feb 1999 21:24:52 EST
In answer to Feb 4, 1999 at 2:46PM, Greg, [log in to unmask]

Greg,

RE: SHE- "Safe and ritualized," "controlled", "know their limits," yeh, maybe
up there in Oregon, in the mind of a female college professor who thinks a
referee is a sure-fire guarantee that the game will be called correctly, and
no one on the ice will get hurt, cause after all one of em is wearing an
orange armband! Some people in a crowd obviously don't know their limitations,
after imbibing a six pack... limit isn't a word in your vocab!

RE: HE- You say the players know what the limits are! I say you're wrong! I
have a perfect example of why they don't off the ice! Talking about going out
after a game and getting shit faced:
True Story! This minor league team went out to a local hot spot for drinks and
dinner. One of the guys thought he'd show his finger dexterity by doing a
stunt from the movie Aliens 2! Remember when the robot took a knife and poked
it between someone's fingers at the speed of light! Well, this mock Alien
finger chopping stunt was attempted on the table with one of the players
fingers. The result was a severed pinkie tip! After throwing it back at the
finger chopper and scolding him with foul language, the player picked it back
up and brought it with him to the emergency hospital and had it sewn back on.
Yep, they know their limitations all right! A real controlled group!

BTW the player with the severed pinkie was my son! I'll take a severed pinkie
though over some other on ice catastrophe! So what, he's sewn together a la
Frankenstein. He's still my stein!

RE: Player Side- I don't agree here either! Paul Kariya of the Ducks is a
"designated non combatant" that already endured four concussions. The ducks
now have a PAID enforcer covering his tail to keep off the muckers! No
"unwritten rule" there! Kariya is certainly star status stuff!

RE: Fan Side- Yep! Road rage doesn't shut down just because your car is now in
the parking lot and your body is momentarily detached from it! If you want the
aggressiveness to come out in your date, bring her to a hockey game where men
just act like men and women get.....well....turned on!??! (-:

P.S. Don't think that happened with your college professor though!? (-:

Vicki Price
violentcontact.net
Concussion Free Zone