From:
Phil Dechert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Phil Dechert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Dec 1996 21:08:00 -0400
Laura Phelps wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Dec 1996, Joe Davison <[log in to unmask]>said:
>
> > ...  But, comparatively speaking, UVM fans are both
> > knowledgeable and classy.   ......
>
> No offense, but are you sure you've been at the same Gutterson that I have
> for a UVM game?  If I had a young child, there's no way I would take him/her
> there for fear having him/her get hit in the eye or face with a piece of
> trash (like has happened to me more than once).  .....

At a recent UVM - Dartmouth game at Thompson Arena in Hanover, UVM fans
were there in force. (More UVM fans than Dartmouth fans)  Many appeared
to be "knowledgeable and classy".  Knowledgeable in shouting insults,
booing Dartmouth players, yelling during the playing of the National
Anthem, and in what the fashionable hockey fan should wear. Green and
yellow jackets with "CATS" in 3 foot high letters were popular.  The
"classy" part was not particularily high.  At last year's game, four
teeny bopper females sitting behind us spent the entire game screaming
the first names of any UVM player near the puck.  Their volume and
enthusiasm did not appear to relate to the actual play.  This year a
group of macho males were having a "taunt the Dartmouth player" contest.
        I am happy to report that as Dartmouth opened the scoring and kept the
only line that UVM lets on the ice penned up in the center zone, the
taunts and jeers faded away.  As Dartmouth, with agressive, well
deciplined play, continued to dominate, cheering and applause filled the
arena from the outnumbered Dartmouth fans.  And as the final minutes of
the third period were ticking away, green and yellow jackets with 3 foot
high "CATS" were quietly leaving.