From:
Lee Urton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lee Urton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Mar 1996 22:09:00 -0600
Warning: minimum college hockey content!

The Minnesota State High School Hockey Tournament jsut finished up this
weekend, and there were a few notes pertaining to college hockey:

1) In the class AA semi-finals, a fantastic game between Duluth East and
Apple Valley went to five OTs (alternating between 8 and 15 min OT
periods) for the longest high school game ever at just over 93 mninutes.
The game itself was fantastic, and to avoid going on about high school,
let me just say that it was like watching the Maine-Michigan game last
year, only without the interruptions of golf ESPN gave us. :-)

2) Apple Valley won the game, and went on to win a one goal squeeker in
the championship game. Afetrwards, the coach was asked how he managed to
get his team ready to play a chmpionship game against a tough team not
eighteen hours after playing a five hour hockey game, and he said:
"The boys legs started to give out in the third period, so I just played
a Jeff Jackson/Lake State defensive style."

3) Minnesota continues its tradition of getting the Mr. Hockey award
winner. The award has been given to future Gopher Dave Spehar of Duluth
East, who led the state in scoring with 100 points this year in 28
games. Spehar had 15 points in the tournament this year, including two
hat tricks in the three games. He was named to the All-Tournament team,
and is being compared to John Mayasich, who had 298 points for the
Gophers during his tenure in 1951-55.

                                -Lee-nerd

"It is not written in the stars that I will always understand what is
going on - a truism that I often find damnably annoying."
                                -Robert Heinlein