From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 1995 13:32:07 EST
(From: TERRENCE (NICK) GILDRED 4XW 271-6782 <[log in to unmask]>
 .. wts)

Sean Pickett wrote:
>According to an AP newswire report, the Educational
>Testing Service is implimenting a new scoring system for
>the SAT test.  Prospective student-athletes will have to
>score an 820 on the test to be eligible to compete as
>freshmen at Division I and II schools this fall.

>It is claimed that the new 820 score is nearly equivalnet
>to the old 700 combined math and verbal score.  The new
>scoring goes into effect 1 April 1995.

I realize Sean is just reporting what he read, but this
brings up a good point.

I'm a father of three boy's all who play hockey and most
likely none of which will play Div 1, 2 or 3, because of
a lack of hockey skill, not for academic reasons.

My two oldest are in the top of their class one with a 3.9
GPA and the oldest with a 3.7 GPA.  Both have very high SAT's,
high enough to get in any school in the country.  My oldest
has been accepted at UMO and is waiting to hear back from
Bates and Colby before deciding.

The point I want to make is not that my kids are smart, but
regardless of this I don't feel the SAT's should even
be looked at with regards to student athletes.  Bates and
Bowdoin two of the top academic rated schools in the country
don't even accept SAT scores.  Of course they are div 3 and
Bates only has a club hockey team.  However many other top
schools are also dropping SAT requirements.  The reasons I'm
told, they are not representative of what a person knows, or
thier ability to learn.  Most kids today have access to computer
SAT tests and there are even SAT classes you can take that help
you memorize questions and answers... to get even higher scores!

Bottom line if a kid can get accepted and maintain a required
GPA, this should be all that matters.  The schools should
be required to provide a rounded and balanced couse schedule
with the intent of supporting a major and if the student has
the required GPA, let them play.  SAT's are a joke they prove
nothing, all schools should drop them.

What happens if a div 1, or 2 school has no SAT requirements
for incoming students?  Do they make only prospective
student-athletes take the SAT test?  Cindy Blodgett (SP?) who
is the star freshman basketball player for the UMO girls team,
has a scholarship of about 8K per year yet bacause of the crowd
she draws will bring to the school $130K this year alone.
Suppose her SAT was below the min she wouldn't be playing and
the whole school would lose out.  I don't think anyone comes
to see her play because of her SAT score.  If a school can
exploit the student-athlete, then they owe giving the student
a good education, (at least the one they didn't get in high
school), or pay the students as professional athletes.  Lets
not bar athletes from playing because of an SAT score.  If they
are struggling with their grades provide them tutors and or remove
them from the team until their grades improve.

I noticed that Jeff Tory whom the NC$$s penalized because of his
high school GPA and no doubt low SAT. Was listed as an honor student!
This I think proves my point... the system imposed by the NC$$'s is
in need of overhaul.

Nick