Sender:
From:
Scott Restum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 1994 22:16:55 EST
In article <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask]
 writes:

> [...]
>waited for all your life, simply follow the easy instructions
>below. Your dreams will come true.  Sincerely yours, Dave Rhodes
>
>INSTRUCTIONS
>
>Follow these instructions EXACTLY, and in 20 to 60 days you will
>have received well over $50,000.00 cash, all yours. This program
>has remained successful because of the honesty and integrity of
>the participants. Please continue its success by carefully
>adhering to the instructions. Welcome to the world of Mail Order!
>This little business is a little different than most mail order
>houses. Your product is not solid and tangible, but rather a
>service. You are in the business of developing Mailing
>lists. Many large corporations are happy to pay big bucks for
>quality lists.(The money made from the mailing lists are
>secondary to the income which is made from people like yourself
>requesting that they be included in that list.)
>
>        1) Immediately mail $1.00 to the first 5 (five) names
>listed  below starting at number 1 through number 5.  Send cash
>only please (totalinvestment $5.00).  Enclose a note with each
>letter stating: "Please add my name to your mailing list." (This
>is a legitimate service that you are requesting and you are
>paying $1.00 for this service).
>
>        2) Remove the name that appears number 1 on the list.
>Move the other 9 names up one position.  (Number 2 will become
>number 1 and number 3 will become number 2, etc.) Place your name,
>address and zip code in the number 10 position.
>
>        3) Post the new letter with your name in the number 10
>position into 10 (Ten) separate bulletin boards in the message
>base or to the file section, call the file, MAKE.MONEY.FAST.
>
>        4) Within 60 days you will receive over $50,000.00 in CASH.
>
>        Keep a copy of this file for yourself so that you can use it
>again and again whenever you need money.  As soon as you mail out
>these letters you are automatically in the mail order business and
>people are sending you $1.00 to be placed on your mailing list.
>This list can than be rented to a list broker that can be found
>in the Yellow Pages for additional income on a regular basis.
>The list will become more valuable as it grows in size.  This is
>a service.  This is perfectly legal.  If you have any doubts,
>refer to Title 18, Sec.1302 & 1341 of the postal lottery laws.
>
>        NOTE:  Make sure you retain EVERY Name and Address sent to
>you, either on computer or hard copy, but do not discard the names
>and notes they send you.  This is PROOF that you are truely providing
>a service and should the IRS or some other Government Agency
>question you, you can provide them with this proof! Remember as
>each post is downloaded and the instructions carefully followed,
>five members will be reimbursed for their participation as a List
>Developer with one dollar each.  Your name will move up the list
>geometrically so that when your name reaches the number five
>position you will be receiving thousands of dollars in cash.

 1. Angel Negron
>    Box 4583
>    USAFA,CO 80841
>
>2. Hong Yang
>   99 S. Rock Hampton Dr.
>   Madison, AL 35758
>
>3. Bobby Dee
>   89 Prospect Ave.
>   Kentville, N.S
>   B4N 2M1
>   Canada
>
>4. Steven J. Cambria
>   203 Oakvale Blvd
>   Kenmore, NY 14223
>
>5. Fredick Dihlman
>   Box 388
>   St. Bonaventure Univ.
>
>6. Dennis Le
>   8142 19th Street
>   Westminster, CA 92683
>
>7. Toni Mason
>   2405A Landmark
>   Raleigh, NC  27607
>
>8. Kalen Schulteis
>   Box 1622
>   5500 Wabash Avenue
>   Terre Haute, IN  47803
>
>9. Anthony M. Mazzola III
>   C.P.U. 171
>   300 Grace Watson Circle
>   Rochester, New York  14623
>10.  Scott Restum
      136 West Hall
      Marquette, MI 49855

> [...]
>another gimmick and could not possibly work.  I was wrong!  About
>three weeks later I saw this same letter posted on a local
>bulletin board in Montreal. I liked the idea of giving it a try
>with my computer.  I didn't expect much because I figured, if
>other people were as skeptical as I, they wouldn't be too quick
>to part with Five Dollars.  But, I buy lottery tickets weekly in
>my province and have nothing to show for it but ticket stubs.
>This week I decided to look at this as my weekly lottery
>purchase.  I addressed the envelopes and mailed out one dollar in
>each as directed.  Two weeks went by and I didn't recieve
>anything in the mail.  The fourth week rolled around and I
>couldn't believe what happened!  I can't say I received $50,000,
>but it was definitely well over $35,000!  For the first time in
>ten years, I got out of debt.  It was great.  Of course, it
>didn't take me long to go through my earnings so I am using this
>excellent money opportunity once again.  Follow the instructions
>and get ready to enjoy.  Please send a copy of this letter along
>with the enclosed letter so together we can convince people who
>are skeptical that it really works!
>
>                        Good Luck, Charles Kust St Agathe Que.
>
>Another lefter:  I tried a similar program in which the cost was
>$5.00 per response.  In that one the return was about 3%.  Since
>I did not have a modem I sent out letters regular mail.  I
>created a few mailing labels and printed out all of the labels on
>pressure sensitive tape.  The first mailing that I used the $1.00
>dollar per reponse approach I started to get return mail in just
>over one week! I sent out 200 letters instead of 100 that is
>required if you use the mail instead of the bulletin boards.
>Additionally, I included as many friends, relatives, classmates,
>that I could think of in order to encourage their participation
>if they happened to recognize my name, so my percentage of gain
>was higher.  I am trying again with 500 lefters to see if I
>surpass the $141,000 of the last time. You just won't believe it
>until you try.
>
>                         Best Wishes, Mark Garner Dallas Texas
>
>Additional Notes:  This system works equally well if mailed out
>manually.  Mind you it takes more effort to hand address the
>envelopes and the cost goes up proportionately to cover the
>postage and envelopes.  You must also photo copy the
>instructions, cross out the name in number one position, write in
>your name in the number ten slot and change the rest of the
>numbers accordingly.  (it might be neater to use white out or
>paste over the names.) In order to achieve the same results you
>must send out the $1.00 dollar to the first five names and then
>send out another 100 letters with copies of the program enclosed.
>It has been suggested not to put a return address on the outside
>of the envelope in order to encourage the recipient to open it.
>The return will approximate that then received from the posts

Don't you wish there was some way to keep "garbage" like this off of
rec.music.gdead?

-Jeff
--

------------------------------

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

The service addresses, to which questions about the list itself and requests
to be added to or deleted from it should be directed, are as follows:

    Internet: [log in to unmask]
    Bitnet:   df-req@virginia
    Uucp:     ...!uunet!virginia!dead-flames-request

You can send mail to the entire list (and rec.music.gdead) via one of these
addresses:

    Internet: [log in to unmask]
    Bitnet:   d-flames@virginia
    Uucp:     ...!uunet!virginia!dead-flames

End of Dead-Flames Digest