Sender:
From:
JOHN HACK <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Oct 1993 11:44:09 CST
    Though I normally post for Div. 3 UW-Superior, I was at the
Duluth Arena last night stringing for a Madison newspaper, and
thought that I would fill in some of the blanks of the Bulldog
upset of the highly ranked Badgers.
Scoring:
First Period-UMD @ 2:29... Fitzgerald (Federenko, Larson)
             UMD @ 16:19... Marinucci (Fitzgerald, Federenko)

Second Period-UMD @ 10:32...Marinucci (Osmak)
              Wis @ 14:48 (s/h)...Moore (Shier, Mark Stroebel)
              Wis @ 17:32 (ppg)...Mark Stroebel (Moore)

Third Period-UMD @ 2:36...Federenko (Marinucci, Fitzgerald)
             Wis @ 10:36...Granato (Fairchild)
             UMD @ 11:38...Miller (Locker, Ciccarello)
             Wis @ 15:28 (ppg)...Mark Stroebel (Moore)

Saves:  Lendzyk (UMD) (60:00) 13-6-7--26 total
        Carey (Wis) (59:49) 11-6-14--31 total

Shots on Goal:  Wis...13-8-9--30 total
                UMD...13-7-16--36 total

Penalties:  UMD...13 for 29 min.
            Wis...7 for 17 min.

Power Plays:  Wis...2/7 (.286)
              UMD...0/2 (.000)

Records (WCHA):  UMD...2-1-0 (1-0-0)
                 Wis...2-1-0 (2-1-0)

Some observations:  UMD had the puck in Wisconsin's end twice in
the first two-and-one-half minutes of play and scored at the 2:29
mark-this was also their first shot on goal.  In that first
couple of minutes, it looked like it was going to be an awfully
long night for the Bulldogs.  Once UMD scored the first goal,
they never looked back and the Badgers were forced to play
catch-up the rest of the night.  I personally feel that aside
from the UMD's goalie (who is hotter than a pistol), the
Wisconsin players enjoy a slight skill edge overall, but just
plain hard work set Wisconsin back on its heels.

UMD's Coach Mike Sertich told me after the game that the Bulldogs
got and took advantage of some breaks against "a very good team".
Jeff Sauer indicated that this game was over and that the Badgers
would shore up defensively and lace 'em up again tonight.

In Carey's defense, there were times when he should have been
asking for loyalty oaths from his defensemen.  I think that the
overall defensive play of the Badgers could be the chink in the
armor of an otherwise excellent team...we'll find out tonight.

John Hack ([log in to unmask])

GO YELLOWJACKETS!!!  ALL THE WAY TO THE D-3 FINALS

GO BIG RED!!!  BEAT MICHIGAN!!!  ALL THE WAY TO THE ROSE BOWL!