Sender:
From:
"Hampton, Nathan E." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2007 18:59:21 -0600
It was a 3 person shoot out to begin with, but since neither team had a lead after this first six shooters, then it continues one on one until one scores and the other doesn't. I was not shocked seeing the same players go over and over again, but still do not understand the details of it. I am not sure, but thinkthe same 3 for Canada kept alternating and the same 3 from the US kept going, but it seems to me that if you have a really hot player that you would use just that one player over and over and over again.

I would not be surprised if the rule does read that the team going first alternates during the shootout (either one by one or three by three). At the beginning of the game the announcers said that the US was the home team (and gets last change) in the semifinal because the previous game when Canada beat the US, Canada was the home team and IIHF rules said that the home team must alternate, despite that Canada was the higher seeded team for the semifinal. However, I am not convinced that who goes first matters all that much. The shooter has to make it and the goalie has to stop it when it is down to one on one.

Nathan Hampton