Sender:
From:
John Grover <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Mar 1992 08:30:14 EST
Comments:
Warning -- original Sender: tag was [log in to unmask]
In article <[log in to unmask]>, Jim Love <[log in to unmask]>
says:

>Mike writes:
>>Salfi added another at 12:29 to make it 4-1.  The replay doesn't show it
>>clearly, but Salfi was offside on the play - I thought so and several other
>>people agreed, although it didn't make a difference in the result.
>
>   Yes, we thought it was off-sides as well, but it hardly mattered - it
>was going to take more than UNH could muster to beat Maine, and two goals
>was as much a mountain as three ....

[ . . . ]

>two periods or so, ultimately losing 4-1 (the last goal unquestionably off-
>sides, though not a factor in the outcome).                            ly

While I admit to almost uncontrollable jealousy that I was not in
the garden to watch the game, and though not having cable where I live let
alone NESN, I have to tell you guys you are absolutely wrong about
Salfi being offsides on the last goal of the Maine-UNH game.

I watched the game last nite on tape. When Salfi got the pass from
Ingraham his feet were on, or just over the blue line. The replay
doesn't show it as clearly as the real-time camera angle, but
there is just no question about it. I can understand some confusion
about it among the live fans. Take the small ice sheet coupled with
Salfi's blinding speed (one of the fastest on a fast team) and the
distance from blue line to goal line is rather short.

Many of you have been very kind in your comments about Maine. I
must admit that I have seen the great team you have talked about
in their regular season play, but I have also seen some terrible
lapses and bouts of flat play by the team. It seemed at times like
they had the physical talent, but not the mental toughness. The
last few games they have been relentless -- I just hope they are
peaking at the right time.

Cal Ingraham is my pick for the hardest working man in hockey. It
is amazing how over and over you see him dump the puck in front of
the net, follow it in to participate in the big scuffle that ensues,
and when the puck squirts out who comes up with it? Big Cal!

I bumped into Pellerin last week, talked with him for a minute,
and mentioned that he and Ingraham really clicked. Pellerin
said what a great player Cal is and said "You know what it is?
The other team can't keep track of him." I started to comment
on Cal's small size, but Pellerin objected saying that wasn't
what he meant -- just that Cal never stops. What a great lesson
for us all...

John Grover
Computing Center
University of Maine