Sender:
From:
Alton Hollingsworth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 07:59:33 -0500

Bob Griebel wrote:

> Hypothetical:  On Sunday afternoon, Ohio State wins the CCHA conference final
> and moves into PWR #4 for the first time all season.  Where is the regional held
> on the following Friday if  the Schott has basketball scheduled?

It's easy enough to look at what the NCAA does in regional competition in team
sports other than Men's Basketball.  The host institution must still submit a bid,
and the bid must still meet a minimum guarantee to the NCAA.  In the hypothetical
situation above, Ohio State could not bid to host the regional in Value City Arena.
They might submit a bid to host it elsewhere, but if they do not guarantee enough
revenue for the NCAA, or if they do not meet the minimum requirements of a venue
(say five locker rooms and 4000 seats or something like that), they will not be
given the regional.

Most non-Men's Basketball Division I team sports indicate that the committee
should show a preference for top seeds when picking regional hosts, but they are
usually not completely constrained by the preference.  Geography, quality of the
facilities, and expected attendance are also factors the committee is allowed to
take into account.

The process of announcing regional hosts seems to be very controversial in some
sports (e.g., Baseball) and almost completely without controversy in others (e.g.,
Women's Basketball and Volleyball).